Milestones of the Masa Group
Alois Smaritschnik, founder of the company and name giver of Masa, would have never imagined that the blue and yellow Masa machines are supplied to customers around the world.
1905 - 1940: The early years
On August 14th, 1905 Alois Smaritschnik established a smith and locksmith operation in Andernach. In addition, the business repairs machinery and begins to manufacture individual machines for the emerging industry surrounding the Andernach area.
The company grows from a craft business into a booming machine factory after Mr. Smaritschnik’s three sons join the company.
The machine factory mainly produces lifting devices and conveying systems, including gantry cranes and specialized lifting devices.
At this time Masa starts producing hand moulds and vibration tables for the local pumice industry.
1940 - 1960: New beginning after World War II
After the end of World War II, the Allied Forces confiscate the company for the purposes of the rebuilding and maintenance of the Rhine fleet.
After the confiscation, the Allied Forces retain 70% of the company as a part of the reparation.
Peter Alois Smaritschnik dies unexpectedly at the beginning of 1956. His wife Else Smaritschnik takes over the company.
With the introduction of the currency reform, two of the founder’s sons leave the company. The remaining son and engineer, Peter Alois Smaritschnik takes over the family business.
The combination of the abundant pumice resource found in the area surrounding Andernach and the enormous demand for building materials for postwar building creates a need for machines to provide to these growth industries.
1960 - 1980: Entering the global market
At the beginning of the 1960’s Masa expands its supply of machines to a world-wide basis. International representatives expand Global marketing efforts.
Peter Josef Smaritschnik, son of Peter Alois and Else becomes the first shareholder of Masa in its transformation into a limited partnership company.
The industry begins shifting from manual to automated technology. Masa leads the industry in this industrial evolution.
Masa develops the first electric control world-wide for block making machines and plants.
Masa supplies the first block making machine using big pallets to the American and Middle East markets.
1980 - 2000: Product expansion and strengthening of Masa's market position
In the 1980’s through the late 1990’s, Masa gains additional market shares world-wide. This growth is especially strong in the USA and Middle East markets. Exports of machines and complete plants grow substantially.
In 1982 Peter Josef Smaritschnik passes away. His wife Olga Smaritschnik, who today is Olga Vercammen becomes the new owner of Masa and continues to run the business.
The relocation from its previous near the Andernach harbor to its current address of Masa-Str. 2 is completed in October, 1993. With the expansion of facilities and the extended production capacity, Masa is prepared for the future.
The increased expansion and internationality of the company’s business leads to the change to an incorporated company.
Masa purchases the famous Henke Maschinenfabrik in Porta Westfalica. This greatly expands the market position and product range which now includes: block production, slab production, sand-lime brick production, and autoclaved aerated concrete block production.
2000 - 2010: Expansion and establishing subsidiaries worldwide
In the 2000's, and continuing today, Masa grows worldwide and establishes subsidiaries in the USA, China, Russia, India and in the UAE.
In 2000, Masa and Masa-Henke jointly developed the new "Record 9001 XL" block machine with the best characteristics in terms of height control, productivity and efficiency, based on their many years of experience and expertise from the two renowned brand machines "Record" and "Variant".
Founding of "Masa-USA" with 50 % of foreign participation
Setting up the establishment "Masa Middle East FZCO" in Dubai (UAE) with 30 % foreign participation.
The 2002 acquisition of the market leader Dorstener Maschinenfabrik strengthens further the company’s market position in the field of sand lime brick production and adds further know-how with regard to autoclaved aerated concrete block production.
Setting up of a representative office in Moscow.
Founding of the "Masa Building Material Machinery Co. Ltd." in Tianjin, China.
Founding of the "Masa Concrete Plants India Private Limited" in Bangalore, India.
"Masa-USA" becomes a 100 % subsidiary of Masa AG.
"Masa-Middle East FZCO" becomes a 90 % subsidiary of Masa AG.
2010 - 2023: Continuous development of Masa Group
The change of legal form from Masa AG to Masa GmbH in 2010 creates a uniform brand image for the entire Masa Group.
The industry participation fund CGS III becomes a majority owner of the Masa Group. The previous majority shareholder remains involved in the company. There is a continuous future assured for the development of the Masa Group.
Masa and its subsidiaries are based in several locations arround the globe.